ATM Skimming Incident
At Fox Communities Credit Union, we take our responsibility to safeguard the personal information that you have entrusted to us seriously.
Because we value our relationship with you, we wanted to make you aware that we recently discovered that skimming devices had been placed on a limited number of our branch location ATMs. We are still investigating the exact timeframe, but we believe the window in which these skimmers were on our ATMs was October 19-28.
We are approaching this with the utmost seriousness, and upon learning of the incident, we began investigating to uncover the depth of this skimming incident. While this review is still ongoing, we believe this has only affected a limited number of individuals.
What is skimming?
Skimming is when a device is illegally installed on an ATM, point-of-sale (POS) terminal, or fuel pump to capture the card number and PINs. Criminals use the data to create fake debit or credit cards and then, attempt to withdraw cash or conduct fraudulent transactions using the card number and PIN.
What should you do.
At Fox Communities Credit Union, we’re here to help and the following are ways to minimize your risk:
- Use online banking to review accounts to detect any fraudulent activity early and alert the credit union as soon as possible.
- Utilize our Card Controls feature within online banking where you can set up alerts for each time your card is used or even turn your card on and off so it can only be used when you know you’re going to need it.
- Be vigilant when visiting ATMs to inspect your surroundings and the ATM. Loose, crooked, damaged, or scratched are all signs of possible tampering.
- Never share passwords, PINs, or personal information with others.
To learn more about skimming and how to protect your cards, please read our Fraud Focus: Skimming blog article.
If you detect any suspicious activity on your account, please notify us promptly at 920-993-9000. Please note any Fox Communities Credit Union member who experiences losses due to fraudulent transactions as a result of this incident, or any incident, is not liable for any unauthorized charges.
We regret any inconvenience or concern this may cause our members, and want to make you aware of the steps we are taking to address this incident and protect your information:
- We are working with members who have experienced fraud or identified suspicious activity on their accounts, and we are deactivating and reissuing their cards immediately.
- It is important to note that at no time were Fox Communities Credit Union’s core banking systems compromised or impacted as a result of this incident.
We want to assure you that safeguarding your personal information is of the utmost importance to us. If you have additional questions, please contact us.