Avoid card skimmers and other scams to protect your identity and finances
As you’re driving around the Fox Valley, the greater Green Bay area, and the Lakeshore area of Manitowoc and Two Rivers, you’ve likely noticed most gas stations now require you to pay before pumping your gas. Now, if you’re pre-paying inside, you simply have to follow the safety precautions you follow anywhere else you use your Fox Communities Credit Union (Fox) credit card or debit card – in other words, cover your pin, don’t let anyone see your card number, and keep your card on you at all times. If you’re paying at the pump, however, you’re going to want to take some extra care to avoid card skimmers and other fraudulent activities. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered right here.
As we mentioned above, the safest way to pre-pay for gas is to head inside before you start pumping. However, if that’s not possible, then you’re going to want to follow these steps to keep your identity and your finances safe while paying at the pump:
- Make sure the gas pump panel is closed and doesn’t show signs of tampering.
- Many stations now put security seals over the cabinet panel. If the pump panel is opened, the label will read “void.”
- Look at the card reader itself. Does it look different than other readers at the station?
- Try to wiggle the card reader before putting your card in. If it moves, report it.
- If you use a debit card at the pump, run it as credit instead of entering a PIN. That way, the PIN is safe, and the money isn’t deducted immediately from your account.
- Remember, if you can, pre-pay inside.
As always, closely monitor your online banking statements regularly and routinely to spot unauthorized charges. And if you have any concerns at all that your identity or finances have been compromised, please contact our friendly Fox team or come into a Fox branch immediately.
Federally Insured by NCUA.